Monday, January 12, 2015

Angiogram and NG tube

Today was a crazy rough day to say the least. While we were in pre op it was decided that Broc would get his NG tube placed today. They decided that it would be best to place it while he was under  as opposed to being wide awake and having a ton of people holding him down. All they needed was an order and Dr Eliason was very kindly willing to write it for us.

I was very surprised with the way Broc reacted once he was done with the procedure. His angiogram went very well. They were very happy with the repair that was done. I have not spoken to the dr yet about it but that is the report that the attending on the Vascular team gave me.

Now the tube on the other hand was a little more complicated. Broc was very good once he came out of  recovery. I was expecting him to be screaming his lungs out and kicking and screaming like he was in Cincinnati but he wasn't. He was quietly whimpering. My heart totally broke when I saw him. I explained again why he needed to have the tube and how it was going to make him feel so much better as it seemed as though food is his enemy now. Once we got back to his room he had to lie still for 6 hours to ensure that his puncture sight from his angiogram did not bleed. I layer with him all afternoon holding his hand and spending time with him. He dozed on and off the whole day. His temp spiked a little again and you could just see he was not feeling well at all.

While Broc was dozing on and off I watched a few videos about how to do tube feedings. He was able to see lots of pictures of kids of all ages wearing feeding tubes in everyday settings like grocery shipping and going to school.

Broc got all his meds via the tube tonight and I learnt a few more things. I will learn how to start his feeds and learn all the details about his feeding pump too. We are not sure for how long he will need the feeding tube.

We did get CBC results from this morning. They were as I expected his eos levels have gone from 1.6% to 9.9% today. I am really scared to see what his numbers will be tomorrow. I had a feeling they would be higher today as he spiked a small temp last night and the same thing happened this wvening as well.

Sorry for the very late update but Broc needed me the whole day.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get to a computer again. When I do post the pictures please share them with your family and children so they can see what Broc will look like before they see him. I know he will look different to you when you see him next time but please don't make him feel uncomfortable. Please treat him like the old Broc. The only thing that will be different is that he will eat a different way to you and I. He will most likely be fed continuously so he will be hooked to a feeding bag most of the time.

Life will be very different for our family but we will just make a new normal for us. Going out anywhere will require a lot of planning on our part. I'm sure it will be a lot easier as we get used to all Brocs new equipment that he will be needing. So please bare with us.

We thank you for all your love ,prayers and support.

1 comment:

  1. This breaks my heart...I know why Broc is so brave ...Its because he got it from you...your family will only get thru this stronger and braver than before with Jehovahs help...love you 💞Amanda

    ReplyDelete