Thursday, December 11, 2014

Discharge Day



Discharge Day was extremely busy. Our team came to see him and said that from there standpoint he was ready to go as he was moving around more, his belly had finally woken up and his chest was sounding much better. It was very crackly due to him not moving around and expanding his lungs. Only thing that was keeping us was seeing the cardiology team. The NP of the surgery team came to talk with me about all his different meds. Then a nutritionist came in to talk to us about his nutrition for the next 3 weeks. Which by the way is proving to be quite a challenge.Lastly the cardiology team came in. A whole team of 8 people. Dr ,nurses,nps and students and residents. Apparently Broc is so interesting that everyone comes to listen to his heart and hear his story. Cardiology felt that his blood pressure could have been another reaction response to stress/trauma on his body from the surgery. They did say that there was room to go up on his heart med to cover him in the event that it happened again. So they increased his heart med too.
They want his BP monitored at the peds office next week and then in 2 weeks we will see Dr Capannari to check on his BP and make sure his heart is once again good to go for his next surgery in Jan.

I really appreciate that the team asked me if I felt comfortable taking Broc home and did I think he was ready to go. There is nothing worse than a dr/team that is wanting to shoo you out the door and you as a parent doesn't feel that your child is ready to leave.

I cannot say enough how impressed I was with the surgical team that handled Brocs case. The team learnt a lot from Broc. Typically a child that has a Nissen procedure leaves the next day, not 4 or 5 days later.They were really happy with all the extra notes I was able to give them about the possible reactions Broc may have. He ended up having all of them and more.

We as parents and drs learnt a lot about patience and how one little boys body can dictate a lot. We learnt about all the new reactions Brocs body has now.It does seem that with every  surgery/trauma his body is ore and more effected.

This hospital stay I was able to chart everyday and I was very much more involved with his care. I never leave his room unless I really have to.In this case I was so glad I was there to witness the episode he had so that when it happens again I will know whats happening and it wont freak me out as much.

Finally once all the medications and follow up apps were scheduled we were able to pack up and leave. We had some truly wonderful nurses that took great care of Broc too. Some we shared more than a patient nurse relationship. We became friends and learnt a lot about each other.I had never before hugged a nurse goodbye before but this time we did.

Thank you too for all the wonderful friends we made in Indy. Thank you for all the cards,visits,phone calls and texts.Everyone of them means so much to Mark and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment