Friday, July 6, 2012

What a scare....... and another procedure.

YESTERDAY:
Broc is still running a low grade fever but acting okay.Not eating a whole lot and is now weighing 47lbs.I know to a lot of you that seem like a lot but before surgery he was close to 52lbs.
The Immuno suprised me and I think he finally respects and me as a person and a mom.He gave us a list of things that can cause high eosinaphils and we checked them all off as not being the answer.He then asked for all his notes from the surgery and he made a copy and said that he wants to study them all.He asked about antibiotics that he was given.He said that can be an option.Another thing I told him about the reaction he had with the dilaudid and he said that could be another possibility or it could be the mesh over his graft.

He feels that surgery and all related are the most recent and they should be looked at carefully.
He said that cause of the way he is acting(fine but something is off every now and then) and the fact that I am very careful with taking care of him he sees no need to admit him as he knows I will call as soon as any more symptoms develope or he gets worse.
He said that it could also be a virus that has attacked his body with his immune system already being low from the surgery or a parasite.He did a lot of blood work today and will let me know when he gets the results.
The range for eos. levels are 0-4%.Broc has been up to 8-10% before but we knew that his allergies and asthma were causing this.He said that he is okay with a count up to 20% but beyond that he is not comfortable with unless it is on the down trend or only a little elevated.He said that if it was nothing serious then it should be only a little higher or going down, but if we are looking at 50-60% then he needs to do more investigating.
He also talked again about doing a bone marrow biopsy but wants to leave that till the last resort as its not what he wants to put Broc through right now.
TODAY:
I got woken up this morning with the surgeons nurse saying they think Broc may have a malignant vasculitus. So I quickly got on the phone to speak to the Immuno Dr and ask what the results were yesterday and what the surgeon was thinking.
So he called the surgeon and I guess the Immuno Dr was one step ahead of us all and had tested Broc for those very diseases yesterday but never told me as it would just worry me. A bit too late now.....
Anyway his eos. count is going down and his neutrophils are low too so we are thinking that he has caught another virus or he had a reaction to one of the medications that he had in the hospital. We can live with a virus or reaction. He is still running a low fever but acting otherwise fine. His appetite is still very low.
Then I get another phone call to say that both of Broc's G.I. Drs have spoken and have decided that with the elevated eos. levels they need to rule out any G.I. issues that may be going on.Broc is still having pain when eating and continues to loose weight. So now we are looking at a very early drive down to Indy on Monday morning for the Upper G.I. Scope. Praying that all goes well and we will be home by Monday evening.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Broc :( And you! I hope they can track this down and get him on the bend--you guys sure could use a break in the health department!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thannks Piper - Its really starting to drain me emotionally.The next couple weeks will be filled with appts and then another admission for 3 days for his VEEG.
    I am so grateful for my loving husband and friends & family who are so kind and supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - you guys have been through so much!

    ReplyDelete